Thursday, June 16, 2011

Multiple Sport Musings

My apologies to the Bruins for never mentioning that I was cheering for them until now.

Why didn't I ever mention this? Because I didn't want to jinx them.

Not that I'm superstitious except on Thursdays after the waning moon, Tuesdays after the waxing moon, during inauspicious hours as projected on my natal chart and when I turn up the Page of Swords on a Tarot card reading.

Other than that, I don't think much about luck. It's all about skill.

Really.

Even knowing this though, it doesn't stop me from flossing somewhere around the 8th or 9th inning of a Red Sox game when Big Papi comes to bat.

I did actually draw the line on luck one day. My husband decided one day that whenever we were watching the Celtics, they would lose, so in order for them to win again, we had to stop watching them.

Now, we had just splurged on a new TV and I put my foot down and said that we paid too much money to NOT watch what we wanted to watch and the Celtics get paid too much money for our attention to be having an adverse effect on them. I was no longer going to take responsibility for a Celtics' loss when professional players with multi-million dollar salaries should be doing that.

I find it fascinating the way we attach songs to our sports as well.

Back in the day (like in the early 80's when Freddie Mercury was still alive), and the Celtics won a championship, a DJ at Boston's popular radio station WBCN played Queen's "We Will Rock You/We are the Champions" continuously for an hour. I think it had a lasting effect on me.

For example, as my nieces and nephews came into the world, their "Nana" would teach them "Patty-cake, patty-cake, baker's man..." and as the kids continued to clap, I would add a "we will, we will rock you!" at the end of the mix. Even grandma caught on.

Go on. Try playing Patty-cake over Freddie's verses and see if it works.



As it stands now, I'm back to wishing the NFL lockout would end. I always look forward to the Hall of Fame game because, just like Christmas follows Thanksgiving, the Hall of Fame game let's me know the pre-season is just around around the corner. I even caught myself absent-mindedly singing the intro music to Monday Football while feeding my birds this morning.




Sure, I'll watch the Tour de France and the rest of the baseball season, but in all honesty, I'm ready for some football.

I'm really not ready for my next triathlon which is a week from this Sunday. The only song I can think of that coincides with that is by Maroon 5.

I can really relate to the lyrics in the chorus that say:
"...and like a little girl cries in the face of a monster that
    lives in her dreams, you say,
'Is there anyone out there 'cause it's getting harder and Harder to Breathe.'"



Yep. This little girl has an open water swimming monster hiding under her bed already.

0 comments: